What’s up #PitchWars mentors and mentees. I have to admit, I’m kind of nervous. I’ve never done #PitchWars before, let alone #PimpMyBio. Not totally sure what is supposed to go in these things, but after cruising through a few posts, I am going to try my hand at it. As they say, you miss 100% of the opportunities you don’t try.
ABOUT MY MS:
If you are looking for a Robin Hood retelling with a mix of Six of Crows, Veronica Mars and Oceans 11, keep reading!
The book I am submitting to #PitchWars is called STAR OF XIANU. It is a YA Contemporary Fantasy about a badass lady thief, the Prince from another realm that blackmails her, the quest to find a stolen jewel, and how two total opposites fall in love.
As with everything I write, my book is #OwnVoices and features a diverse cast of characters.
If you like heists, lady thieves, hot and kind men, snarky women, royalty, Chinese influences, #BlackGirlMagic, stealing for the poor, strong family relationships, female friendships, sex positivity, and not-so-forbidden love, you might just love STAR OF XIANU.
If you are interested in more pictures that has inspired STAR OF XIANU, check out my vision board.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Ghost Girl In the Corner by Daniel Jose Older
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Oceans 11
- Heist Society by Ally Carter
- Veronica Mars
- Tower Heist
MY FAVORITE AUTHORS/BOOKS/MOVIES:
- All things Jane Austen
- All things Alyssa Cole
- American Street by Ibi Zoboi
- Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
- Gilmore Girls
- Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty
- The Magicians
- Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas
- Kindred by Octavia Butler
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova
- Gemma Doyle Series by Libba Bray
- Miss Representation
- Between the Covers
Now, a little about me. I have lived in Atlanta almost all my life, but I have dreams of moving cross-country to L.A. I am a 28 year old grad student at Clark Atlanta University studying Literature, with a specialty in 18th century English lit and got my undergrad degree at Georgia State University.
I’ve been writing basically all my life and I don’t think I could ever stop, even if I never get published. I am a storyteller at heart. I am also an avid reader, and read what I write, namely romance and fantasy. Though I have self-published some romance, I want to go traditional for my YA.
MY MENTOR WISHLIST:
- Willing to work on big and small picture edits with me
- Not afraid to really dig down and tell me the issues with my MS
- Doesn’t mind my anal organizational habits
- Communicative and willing to brainstorm ideas
- Willing to do more than one pass if time permits
- Gives a mix of praise and critique
- Hopefully, and most importantly, a lifelong friend
Thank you to Brenda Drake and the mentors for volunteering your time to help us aspiring authors.