I do it. You do it. We all do it. Procrastination is the bane of existence. It is especially worse for the writer that is trying to hustle. To be honest, even this blog post is a form of procrastination (I should really be working on my novel, but hey).
We all have our favorite forms of procrastination. My go to ones are Twitter, Tumblr, and lately, writing blog posts. It is hard to drag yourself from these much more fun, but often less productive, activities to go write. So here are a few suggestions that usually help me.
- Turn off the internet
- The internet is usually a huge source of distraction. It is so full of things much more interesting that whatever it is you are supposed to be doing. Need to research one small thing? Welcome to the TIme Suck Pit, more commonly known as Wikipedia. Sometimes the solution to getting yourself refocused is just to turn off what is distracting you.
- Take a short walk
- A short walk helps in a couple different ways. First, just getting away from your work and other sources of distraction can help reorient you. It clears your mind and lets new and exciting thoughts about your project come. Also, walking will get your blood pumping in a way that sitting at a computer working won’t. You’ll come back more energized and ready to rock.
- Word sprints
- Nothing gets me writing like knowing I am on a short time limit to get words down. Sprints can be done alone or with friends. Just set a timer, usually between 15 and 30 minutes, and let loose. The lack of time makes you shake off your inner editor and doubter and forces you to focus. If you are writing with friends, you can share your word count and the end for added competition!
- Change your writing format
- Sometimes it is just starring at a too familiar doc that is making your mind wander. If you switch from a computer to pen and paper, then it may shake something new out of you. Writing in a new way forces your mind to work in a different way and may help your focus.
Do you have tips and tricks for beating procrastination? Share them!